Monday, October 25, 2010

Lunch at Maze by Gordon Ramsay

After drooling over the gorgeous shoes, we just had to rest our weary feet by having lunch at Maze at Grosvenor Square.
This was my second visit here - I loved it the first time so had to bring Steve so he could experience as well.
The restaurant's menu is a tasting style which means smallish plates but also means you can try more dishes.
We went for the 4 tastings which was only 36 pounds - quite a bargain for London and great with the current exchange rates!
Verdict? Thumbs up all the way. It was so delicious!
Here is what we had (warning - the menu contains a lot of food jargon, feel free to google to decipher if you have no idea what it all means! or just enjoy the pictures):
First course....
Steve had the Ham Hock rillette with golden raisin puree, slow cooked quails egg, & radish...
While I had the cauliflower veloute, smoked haddock, potato and confit egg yolk (the veloute was incredibly creamy and velvety)




Next course... Steve had the Roast Quail Breast and Leg, Maple Jelly and Sweetcorn Risotto (the risotto was served in its own teacup and tasted awesome!)
I had the Soused Mackerel, Mackerel Tartare, salad of beetroot and coriander (I had no idea what "soused" meant at the time but in case you're like me, I googled and soused means 'pickled in a mild preserving liquid' which was exactly what the mackerel was!)



Next, our third plate. Steve thoroughly enjoyed his Roast Salmon with piperade, White bean puree, cockles, bacon and fish soup
I had the roasted quail (see above Steve's 2nd course).
Then the desserts were amazing!!!!! Being normally not a huge dessert fan (I'm much more into savoury), my dessert was really really delicious and probably one of the best I've ever had. It was not too sickly sweet and had just the right amount of crunch combined with creaminess.
Here is the Pistachio cake, Kentish raspberries, pistachio crumble...
Meanwhile Steve mopped up his Strawberry Cream Parfait, sweet olive emulsion, strawberry jelly.


I can see this trip will be one of many amazing food experiences - this is a great start and look forward to sharing more with you along the way!

3 comments:

  1. Wow the salmon looks delicious as do the desserts!

    PS My chicken turned out amazing thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hello delicious Roasted Salmon - yum yum! And the desserts look like a creation from heaven. X

    ReplyDelete