Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Who says high school French is useless?

Have any of you ever studied another language back in high school, practiced like crazy some so-called common phrases and wondered if you were ever going to use any of them? I studied French for a few years at school and some of the phrases that fall into that category include...

Ou est le stade? = Where is the stadium?
Ou est la bibliotheque? = Where is the library?
Ou est le plage? = Where is the beach?

But one Monday morning in Paris, I finally had the opportunity to use one of my well rehearsed French phrases!
We wandered around the local area near our hotel looking for somewhere we could buy some breakfast on the go. But just when we thought we would have to skip brekkie, we saw a man walking down the street with 2 baguettes under his arm - yes, how french! This was the moment I could actually use a phrase I learnt in Yr 7!!!

So, I approached him and asked "Excusez-moi, ou est la boulangerie?" = Excuse me, where is the bakery?
The man understood me and pointed to a side street where we found a lovely little bakery - yay! Breakfast found!
So, I look forward to the next time I can bring out of the other phrases.... my french teacher would be proud..

There's the boulangerie!



Yummy treats! (ok, so it was also a patisserie)

Sweet treats


Delicious filled baguettes

Got my brekkie!

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to the day my school Italian comes in handy. The only phrase I remember is "The elephant is large"..but hey you never know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might come in handy if you go to a Zoo in Rome.

    ReplyDelete